Master & Sync Licensing

We are here to help you determine the correct music licensing for your project.
The iconic L.A. based Buddaheads, lost founding member, Alan Mirikitani, in 2015. The music created by Alan, Johnny and Lee made an indelible impression on the Los Angeles music scene and spread its musical wings to nearly every nation around the world. WPE proudly represented the band with five original studio releases and one compilation entitled, "Here's to You". While distribution of music has changed dramatically in the past years, the band continues to get strong airplay, reaching new audiences with vibrant CD and digital sales all around the world.

- To request a master track license or sync license please email:

Master License vs Sync License

A master license gives the license holder the right to use a recorded piece of music in a media project such a film, TV show, commercial, or another visual creation or audio project. A master license is obtained from the person who owns the recording, which is the party that financed the recording. Usually, these rights reside with the record label if not the independent artist.

Master License vs Sync License

Obtaining a master license is only the first step, because in order to use the track in its entirety, a synchronization or sync license is needed in addition. A master license differs from a sync license in that a sync license gives the license holder the right to use the composition and re-record a song for use in a media project, while a master license gives the license holder the right to use a previously recorded song in a media project.

A sync license from the publisher is usually required in conjunction with a master license from the master owner to use a preexisting version of a song with a visual project.

A master license can only be issued for one song at a time. Even if someone wants to use an entire album in a project, a license must be obtained for each song individually.

CAREERS, Heather McDonald, Updated January 26, 2019